Sign In
 [New User? Sign Up]

Irving Oil

When the First World War ended, Kenneth Colin Irving left the Royal Flying Corps and returned to his family home in Bouctouche, New Brunswick, Canada. After working in his father's general store, he opened the community's first garage and service station in 1924. Customers liked the gasoline he provided - a higher quality than was available locally. Most important of all, they liked the customer service.

Soon after, Ford Motor Company asked K.C. Irving to open a dealership in Saint John, New Brunswick. He also established Irving Oil Limited that same year. It was 1924, and he was 25 years old.

Primrose was the name of Irving Oil's first gasoline. Velco, one of the company's first motor oils, was introduced in the early 1930s. We still use that name today for some of our lubricant products.

Before long, Irving Oil became a familiar sign throughout the Atlantic provinces. There is a natural tie between K.C. Irving's service philosophy and the traditional neighbourliness of the people of the Atlantic communities.

Our company was built on politeness, honesty, listening to our customers and the good ideas of our employees. We sum it up now with the phrase 'Where service means everything.' At Irving Oil it's more than a slogan: it's a way of life.

In 1960, to ensure his customers a constant supply of the best in petroleum products, K.C. Irving fulfilled a long-time personal dream: he built the Irving Oil refinery in Saint John, New Brunswick on a 780 acre site. The refinery began operations on July 20, 1960, with an initial capacity of 40,000 barrels a day.

Over the years technology has changed and so have consumers' needs. We upgrade and improve the refinery continually to keep pace.

The first expansion took place in 1971, increasing production to 120,000 barrels per day. Three years later a much larger expansion increased this to 250,000 BPD. Our refinery can handle a wide variety of crude oil types and has the capability to produce various finished energy products. Operating around the clock, 365 days a year, the Irving Oil refinery is the largest volume and most advanced in Canada.

Canaport - the Irving Oil Canaport terminal at the entrance to Saint John Harbour - was the first deep-water terminal in the western hemisphere when it opened in 1970. Located in 128 feet of water about 4,100 feet offshore, the mooring facility can accomodate ultralarge crude carriers (ULCC).


Featured Jobs